Protecting our right to liberty, justice, and equality in the Granite State.
The American Civil Liberties Union of New Hampshire is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization of New Hampshire residents dedicated to defending the individual rights guaranteed in the Bill of Rights and the New Hampshire Constitution.
The ACLU of NH and the ACLU Foundation of NH have three principal objectives:
- Representing New Hampshire residents whose rights have been violated;
- Educating residents concerning their civil liberties under the U.S and state Constitution; and,
- Challenging laws that infringe on individual freedom.
We carry out our work from our office in Concord with a staff of 4 full time employees assisted by interns, volunteers, and cooperating attorneys. Our statewide Board of Directors sets policy, raises funds and provides legal and fiduciary oversight.
“So long as we have enough people in this country willing to fight for their rights, we’ll be called a democracy” — ACLU Founder Roger Baldwin
The ACLU of New Hampshire is a state affiliate of the National ACLU which was founded in the 1920s by a small group of devoted civil libertarians. Today the National ACLU is comprised of more than 500,000 members and more than fifty affiliates and chapters nationwide.
One Mission, Two Entities: ACLU of NH and ACLU Foundation of NH
To protect the enduring values of freedom and equality, the ACLU uses a three-pronged approach: litigation, public education, and lobbying. In order to support all three advocacy tools and to comply with federal tax law, it is necessary to have two organizational entities: the ACLU of New Hampshire and the ACLU Foundation of New Hampshire. Both are nonprofit organizations but with different IRS classifications.
- ACLU of NH is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization
- ACLU of NH is a membership organization principally supporting our legislative lobbying work in Concord.
- Gifts to the ACLU of NH are not tax deductible, according to federal law.
- ACLU Foundation of NH is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
- Gifts to the Foundation are tax deductible.
- Donations support our litigation and public education efforts.
Full funding of both organizations is vital to protecting civil liberties in New Hampshire.
Many donors choose to make their larger tax-deductible gifts to the ACLU Foundation of NH, and continue to make smaller gifts to the ACLU of New Hampshire in order to maintain their “card-carrying” membership status and to support our important lobbying efforts.