Legal Help


As one of more than 50 local affiliates around the country, the American Civil Liberties Union of New Hampshire handles civil liberties and civil rights matters that happen in the state of New Hampshire. We do not provide assistance outside the state of New Hampshire. To find the ACLU affiliate in your state, go to the national ACLU website.

The ACLU of New Hampshire works on a wide range of issues involving equal treatment for all, fair treatment by government, privacy, and personal freedoms, such as speech, religion, and reproductive choice. These broad categories include discrimination based on race, national origin, gender, sexual orientation or disability, police misconduct, personal privacy, the rights of students and young people, and other civil liberties.

We are unable to give you advice about your case or to provide other types of assistance if we do not accept your case. For example; we cannot review your paperwork, conduct legal research or offer a legal opinion about your case. This policy allows us to direct the necessary resources to those cases that we do accept. We are also unable to advise you of the deadlines in your case. To protect your rights, please consult with an attorney promptly to find out what case deadlines apply to you.

We can not guarantee confidentiality over the web or by fax. Therefore, only complaints by mail will be accepted.

The ACLU accepts requests for assistance that affect the civil liberties of individuals. The basic questions that we must consider are:

  1. Does the case raise a fundamental civil liberties issue?
  2. Does the issue raised affect a substantial number of people?
  3. Is the government involved in the violation of civil liberties?
  4. Do we have the necessary resources to effectively pursue this case?


Examples of the civil liberties we seek to protect include:

Freedom of Speech and of the Press

  • A student who is suspended for writing a newspaper article critical of the principal.
  • A police officer who is disciplined for speaking out against police brutality.
  • An organization that is assessed a fee for police protection when it applies for a permit to demonstrate.

Freedom of Religion

  • A student is denied the right to say grace before meals in the cafeteria.
  • A Muslim woman is denied the right to wear religious garb at her workplace.
  • Attendees at a public meeting are forced to stand and recite the Lord’s Prayer.


  • The government intercepts your e-mail messages without your consent.
  • Public school students are forced to submit their belongings to drug-sniffing dogs.
  • The police enter and search a home without a warrant even when the residents refuse them entry.

     Equal Protection/Discrimination

  • A sheriff’s department refuses to hire women deputies.
  • A town refuses to permit homeless people to vote because they have no fixed addresses.
  • An election official refuses to permit students or minority residents to register and vote on Election Day.

Due Process

  • A student is suspended from school and denied a hearing.
  • A group is denied a permit to demonstrate by the police and there is no process of appeal.
  • A resident is denied access to material under the state right-to-know law and no appeal is provided.

Generally, ACLU of NH does NOT accept the following cases:

  • Criminal Cases: in very rare instances the ACLU of NH may defend an individual criminally prosecuted for engaging in constitutionally protected activities, such as participation in a political demonstration.
  • Divorce, child custody or support cases.
  • Civil disputes between private individuals.
  • Employment disputes including dismissal, workman’s compensation or employment benefits.

Apply for Legal Assistance

If you would like to apply for legal assistance with the ACLU of NH,  fill out our online form . If you have questions about the intake form, please call the office at (603) 225-3080.

Or, use our printable legal intake form and mail it to us at ACLU of NH, 18 Low Avenue, Concord, NH 03301.

 Posted by on September 24, 2013 at 12:00 am